my header links

| Home | Preschool Lesson Plans | Educator Forums | Preschool Lesson Plan Directory |Advertise on 123child.com | |

Friday, November 25, 2011

Activity of the Day: November 25, 2011




Christmas Mason Jars



You will need one clean mason jar.  I used Miracle Whip jars since they don't have any embossing, which would make things difficult.  Also, colored tissue paper, Mod Podge glue, a paint brush and any embellishments that you might want to add.  

I let Rosa make a decoupage jar.  First I cut red, white and green tissue paper into a variety of different sized squares.  I placed a couple of fingers inside the jar to hold it, then applied the Mod Podge glue to the outside of the jar with a paint brush, then Rosa applied the tissue paper.  It is okay if the squares overlap.  After she finished, I went over the jar and filled in the gaps and around the edges of the top and bottom of jar.  I created a smooth edge by applying the tissue paper, then applying a layer of glue over the paper, up to the edge, the paper will tear easily at the edge. 

After all of the paper is applied, go over the whole jar again with another layer of glue.   Let that dry and apply another layer of glue. 

You can place Christmas lights, a real tea light candle or a battery operated tea light in the jar for display.

Variations:
I was inspired by a combination of two blogs to create this Santa Jar.  I saw these awesome Halloween Jars on Not So Idle Hands Blog.  Then on Crafts by Amanda's blog she posted some creative Glittery Santa Belly Jars

I applied strips of red tissue paper, with a black ribbon and a piece of gold pipe cleaner.  I had to use a glue gun to attach the pipe cleaner. 

I used white tissue paper for the last jar.  I applied silver glitter and snowflake stickers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment